Vowell says that the most dangerous thing, even more so than an idea, is a belief. I would have to say I disagree with her. Manly because I see a belief as a strain from an idea, and can not believe that an idea can come forth through belief. Most religions are very strict in their laws and ideals, and there is not generally an old-testement preist thinking about how they can change christianity for the better.
The reference to the bees having to leave their hives to find new homes reminds me of immigrants coming to America from places like Turkey and Mexico, places where they are forced out by poverty or violence. However, immigration played out differently in the 17th century. It is difficult, like it was then, but for different reasons. Back then, the europeans took a perilous trip over the sea, during which many of them died. Then, they had to tame wildernesses, and pray that their first crops made it out well enough to harvest food for the winter. Nowadays, immigrants come over to an already settled country, yet are greated with disdain, and are given low rate and unsatisfactory jobs. Just like is going on now, individuals were trying to find what relgion they found best suited, even if it meant knocking off a long time traditional one.
A large difference between Americans now and Americans then is the emphasis on reading and literature, as well as its role in society. Sure modern day Americans love to read and aspire to write, yet it was such a greater deal to the Puritans of the 17th century. All of their learning was done through reading, wether it was learning about history or about old poetry. In the modern world, we learn things through news casts and through satire.
Even I can personally admit that after reading the first five chapters of Vowell's novel I know know more about the Puritans that setteld our country than I did before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Derek,
ReplyDeleteWhen you mentioned that you disagree with Vowell's interpretation of a belief being more dangerous than an idea I have to disagree with you there. When I think of an idea I think of a plan to do something. For example: An idea to create a new revolutionary car that saves an unbelievable amount of gas. Now you might attempt this idea and you might fail and give up. But when there is a belief there is a devotion towards that belief. Taking John Winthrop and his fellow shipmates for example. They believed that God had chosen if they were Elects or not. This was their belief, and when someone came over to try to change that belief, like Anne Hutchinson, they (especially Winthrop) looked at it as a gesture of evil and was, in their eyes against the law. So, this is what I think of an idea v.s a belief. I do agree with you though about the different learning methods. Compared to the Puritan's with only books written by them, we now have multiple ways of learning including, television, computers, and like you said even through satire.